This is Prionics
Based in Zurich, Switzerland, Prionics is one of the world’s leading providers of farm animal diagnostic solutions and is a recognized center of expertise in BSE and prion diseases. Founded in 1997 as a spin-off from Zurich University, Prionics researches and markets innovative diagnostic solutions for major farm animal diseases, thereby making a major contribution to the protection of consumer health.
In 2005, Prionics acquired Pfizer Animal Health’s diagnostic portfolio and, in 2006, entered into a strategic partnership with the Animal Science Group of the University of Wageningen (Netherlands). Winner of the Swiss Economic Award for “Company of the year” (2002) and the European Biotech Award for “Excellence in Biotech Business” (2004), in 2006 Prionics was nominated as the world’s best animal health company.
The Company has Research and Development facilities in Switzerland and the Netherlands and operates regional hubs in key markets such as Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and USA. Furthermore, Prionics is represented by distribution partners around the world.
Find out more about the first ten years of the history of Prionics.
A Story of Success
Since its foundation in 1997, Prionics has successfully grown from a venture to a world leader in farm animal diagnostics.
- Prionics AG is the worldwide second largest company in farm animal diagnostics
- Receipt of Marketing Authorization for Tuberculin PPD product
- Acquisition of Tuberculin PPD business of former Lelystad Biologicals B.V.
- Strategic partnership with the Spanish company Ingenasa
- Acquisition of the forensiX product line for DNA sampling in criminal investigations
- Launch of Prionics Lelystad B.V., the Netherlands
- Nominated as best-in-class Animal Health Company of the Year
- Strategic partnership with the Animal Science Group of Wageningen UR (the Netherlands)
- Acquisition of CEDI Diagnostics B.V., the Netherlands
- Establishment of IDnostics AG to market the innovative diagnostic ear tag TypiFix™
- Acquisition of Pfizer Animal Health’s diagnostic portfolio
- Launch of Prionics Germany GmbH to grow German and Austrian markets
- Start of business in South America with foundation of Prionics Argentina S.A. In 2011 the distribution agreement was transferred to Ingenics Diagnostica S.A. (Argentina)
- Spin-off of Neurotune AG for the R&D of neuroscience drugs for human health
- Launch of Prionics USA Inc. to develop the North American market
- Winner of the European Biotech Award for Excellence in Biotechnology
- United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization recognizes active BSE surveillance system established in 1999 as gold standard for “good practices”
- Winner of the Swiss Economic Award as Company of the Year
- Foundation of Prionics Italia S.r.l. as first international affiliate
- First BSE case outside Western Europe revealed by Prionics®-Check WESTERN
- First active worldwide BSE surveillance system introduced in Switzerland
- Fist case in the world of BSE-infected cow prevented from entering the food chain by Prionics®-Check WESTERN
- Prionics AG founded in Zurich as a spin-off from Zurich University